The BCAFM is here to serve the needs of our member farmers’ markets. We are committed to developing and strengthening the capacity of farmers' markets in all regions of British Columbia, so you, our members can continue to support local farmers and artisans and provide British Columbians with fresh healthy local food. Learn more.
The easiest way to ensure you are buying local, healthy and sustainable fish is to buy directly from the fisherman. You can ensure 100% traceability from ocean to plate. At farmers' markets in BC, you can find some of BC's best seafood and support fishing families who have fished off the coasts of BC for over three decades like: Otto Strobel of Skipper Otto, Dianne and Bruce of Estevan Tuna, Father and son team, Tony & Sasha of Blue Comet Seafoods, Port Hardy Seafoods started by Ron Gorman Sr., joined by Son, Ron Jr and daughters Katie and Sharleen; Bob & Peggy of Cool Wild Fish.
Products available at the market include frozen, smoked and canned sustainable seafood that are Seachoice and Oceanwise recommended: Wild Salmon, BC Albacore Tuna, BC Lingcod, Pacific Halibut, and Ocean Perch. Stop by your local fisherman's table next time you are at the market.
Sustainable Seafood Recipes
- BC Albacore Ceviche, from Eastevan Tuna Co.
- Market Saute of Salmon, from Blue Comet Seafoods
- Jack Daniels' Salmon, from Skipper Otto
- BC Seafood Seasonal Availability Chart
- A guide to sustainble seafood by the David Suzuki Foundation. Learn about common fishing methods and sustanability considerations for wild and farmed species.
- ThisFish.info launched by the EcoTrust Canada where you can trace your fish from the ocean to your plate:
- Want to know which fish are the healthiest sustainable choices? Check out Seachoice.org (A partnership between Canada Parks and Wilderness Society, David Suzuki Foundation, Ecology Action Centre, Living Oceans Society, Sierra Club BC) and Oceanwise.ca (run by the Vancouver Aquarium).