The BCAFM is here to serve the needs of our member farmers’ markets. We are committed to developing and strengthening the capacity of farmers' markets in all regions of British Columbia, so you, our members can continue to support local farmers and artisans and provide British Columbians with fresh healthy local food. Learn more.
Farmers' Market Membership
Apply or Renew Your Market's Membership:
- Click here to proceed to the Farmers' Market membership application
- The deadline to be included in the provincially distributed BC Farmers' Market directory is Monday, April 10th, 2017.
Join us! We offer our member farmers' markets:
- Advocacy on behalf of farmers' markets in BC
- Professional development and capacity building tools
- Unique marketing opportunities and province-wide exposure
- Influence on key decision makers
- A voice in the future of farmers' market and agriculture in BC
2017 Farmers' Market Membership Fees
- View the full voting membership fee structure
Payment instructions are detailed in the membership application
A Farmers' Market Member (Voting Member):
A farmers' market (voting) member is a non-profit organization that is operating one or more “farmers’ markets” and that demonstrates support for farming in British Columbia. Membership is annual and needs to be renewed each year. A full or voting member of BCAFM will pay a primary membership for the first market that it operates and an additional fee for each market location that it operates.
Definition of "Farmers' Market"
A "farmers' market" is a market comprised exclusively of vendors who make, bake, grow or raise the products they sell, of which a majority of the vendors are selling farm products of British Columbia origin. These markets must be British Columbia non-profit organizations, whether incorporated or not, with at least 6 vendors, that operate for 2 or more hours per day for a minimum of 4 markets in a year.
1. Online Promotion of Your Farmers' Market
We provide BC's only online farmers' market finder, listing over 135 member farmers' markets across the province: markets.bcfarmersmarket.org
Our website sees over 105,000 visitors annually, including over 316,000 page views! We actively promote member farmers' markets and encourage British Columbians to choose local on social media. Find us on Facebook and Twitter.
2. Listing in the Annual BC Farmers' Market Directory
As a member you will be listed in the BC Farmers' Market directory, which is distributed to thousands of residents and visitors throughout BC. Date, location and contact information will be listed.
3. Access to Special PricingAs a BCAFM member you receive reduced rates on workshops, webinars and conferences.
Members also receive a group rate on farmers' market liability insurance for $350 per annum for up to $5 million coverage from the Co-operators. The insurance package is available to full members only. Associate members are not eligible for group insurance.
Farmers' Market Insurance Program Contact:
Agent: Orest Kocherkewych
The Cooperators, Bracken Insurance Services Ltd. 106-3101 Highway 6 Vernon, BC V1T 9H6
Phone: (250) 542-6300
Toll free: (888) 289-2667
Fax: (250) 542-6602
4. Access to Special Programs
BCAFM members can participate in programs including:
- The Farmers' Market Nutrition Coupon Program
- Province-wide marketing campaigns such as, Farmers Appreciation Week and the Buy Local program
- Research and capacity building activities such as the Strengthening Farmers' Markets program and the Social and Economic Benefits of Farmers' Market Study.
5. Use of Farmers' Market Signs on Highways
Access to Ministry of Highways approved sign(s) for your BCAFM urban farmers market. Read the steps needed to take to arrange for motorist directional signage for your farmers' market.
6. Receive the Farmers' Markets Newsletter
Our newsletter is published regularly to keep you updated on the activities of the BCAFM and member markets. An excellent source of information on new programs. Check out the latest edition.
7. BCAFM Listserve
Members can seek advice, inspiration and ideas from their farmers' market peers on the BCAFM's listserve.
8. Right to Vote for BCAFM Executive and Directors
Shape the future direction of the BCAFM by joining the Board of Directors or volunteering on a Committee.